Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 5 late afternoon

Today started nicely for the hotel people, Cindy made scrambled eggs in the microwave.
The men especially enjoyed them! Off to Baxter, devotional and then on the buses.
A large group went to Union to begin on 5 houses. A group of 18 with the adults being Cary, Lori, Tami and me went to the teaching hospital. What a sad, sad place.
Tami was allowed in the burn unit where she visited with 3 children, the rest of us visited with kids in the orthopaedic ward, mostly kids being run over by cars, one was kicked by a donkey, and then another ward of sick children. They all enjoyed the toys, stuffed animals and hair supplies that we shared with them. We brought juice and cookies to hand out also. We spent a few hours there, lots of tears from our eyes as we left. Some of the most touching moments for me, tonia was listening to Ryan Haskins say a prayer with a small child, walking by a room and listening to Alex Holder saying a prayer in the middle of a room with children and a few parents and having Cary Hadley translate it for the families. Johnny, Andy, Cory, Sammi, and Lane also spent a lot of time praying with the children. In one of the wards Andy, Zach, Johnny, Lane, Ryan, Kaitlin, Becca, Sammi,Karen, Alex and Mari Catherine were singing songs in Spanish and English. Lots of tears today! The children loved it when Lauren and Cory were blowing bubbles at them, we did get lots of smiles, but so many sad stories.

After that we went to the big catholic church where we sung a few songs under the dome. We should have been able to hear a 5 or 6 second feedback, but it auditorium was quite busy with activity. They will be ordaining a new monsignor tomorrow. Our kids even helped unload some chairs.

We were treated with lunch at McDonalds or the chicken place. That was good.
Tonight we go to the mall for dinner and some internet cafe time. If you dont hear from your kids i´m sure it is because the place was packed.

We came back to Baxter around 3, where we continued to count out vitamins and do laundry. We are waiting for the construction and clinic team to arrive and we will shower and head out.
Sincere apologies to Rich Countryman, the Blog Book was in my grocery bag!

Note from Alex Holder

Dear Mom,
I am having a great time!And yes I am plenty safe. I have helped build 3 houses and it is a very good experience. I love you so much. From your son Alex

Dear Dad,
It has been a blast down here in Honduras. There is a lot of poverty and it has been a big reality check to me. From your son Alex

Note from Tami

Carla, Ryan wanted you to know that he is brushing his teeth! I spent the day with him in the children´s hospital, you would have been very proud of him. Let Will know what an awesome big brother he has.
To the parents of the kids mentioned above that went to the children´s hospital, you all have amazing teens and I wish you could have been here to witness their experience with these sick children, they really made a difference in their lives today.
To my family, Just wanted to let you know we are all doing great, of course CJ, Casey, David, Kieth, Ashley and Alyssa went back to the mountain to build houses so they aren´t back yet but I heard they were getting much accomplished. Renetta maybe your children should greet us at church when we return! That would makeup for father´s day :) Charles please make sure Mark took care of his car. I miss you but enjoy not having anyone to fight over the remote with! Love ya, Tami

Note From Chris Stewart
Hi Mom, Love Chris

Note from Laura Beth
Hey los Padres ..... I´m so tired, building wears you out!I´ve made so many little friends on the mountain, today was hard to leave. k well I don´t know what else to write. Love you All LB p.s. sorry if I embarrassed you mom p.s.s. hey hayden I love you and miss you alot.

Note from Nicole Garcia
I built a house.. well I helped build a house! Surprised!Well anyways I´m having a great time here but I definitely miss you guys! Love You, Nicole

Note from Heather Garcia
Richard and Becca All is well here in Honduras. I was on the medical team for the 1st two days. It was extremely awesome!! Workin with the blood pressure machine! Well my brotha and sista miss you both very much its not the same without you guys. Micheal says he and Bekah my mom misses you so so much well love you adios Heather. p.s. Micheal isn´t planning on giving Bekah a souvenier unless you want him to.

Gabrial, David says he doen´t miss you at all, not surprised right. I love you and miss you .Heather

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEYYYYY!
I hope i can talk to you guys tonight!! Im gonna leave my screen name thing on untill i go to sleep but ill put my away message up & hopefully i get to talk to you all if that makes sence. Have fun at the mall =]]Try not to get crazy with the 3 stores Laura =]] I love you all & miss you!! Hopefully ill hear from you soon!
Hayden
=]]

Anonymous said...

Hey Jonathon.
Sounds like today was an awesome day. We're staying home and keeping the phone close so hope to hear from you tonight. Talked to Mamaw earlier and sounds like she caught cold at the old fish camp! We'll be picking her up tomorrow night at 7:25 and she wants to eat out. I think she's had enough crackers and cheese to last a lifetime. We miss you.

PS Aunt Peg tried to write you but she couldn't figure out how. She and Uncle Fred send their love.

Love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Mari Catherine, Sounds like you all are doing of lot of good things. Which part do you like to do best? We miss you lots but we know you are working hard and having a good time. Love, Mimi and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Hi Caitlin S.,
How are things going with you and everybody? We are doing fine. It's Friday - so we had our usual Sonic, and tonight we are going to a movie. We will be seeing "Cars".
We miss you alot. I even think Marshmallow misses you. He hasn't been eating much lately. We have been very busy with VBS since you left (M-W). It was fun. Kristen and Daddy went to the adult class, and I worked with the 4 year olds. Your paycheck came in the mail today, or at least I'm guessing that is what is in the envelope. Kristen also got paid today. Take care of yourself. We pray for you and the whole team everyday. We pray that God blesses you tremendously.
We Love You,
Mommy, Daddy, & Kristen
Lamentations 3:22-24

Anonymous said...

geoff..
I hope ur ok u didnt sound that great last night on the phone. Im sorry I did not get to say that much 2 u after I got off the phone I started crying because ive missed u so much.I cant wait until u come home..so please be careful and dont hurt yourself while building any houses and dont let laura through too many mangos at ur head.. ones enough..lol well I have to go ill try to write u later.
I love you...love always candice

Anonymous said...

geoff,
I hope ur ok u didnt seem that great last night on the phone. Im sorry i didnt say that much I really missed u alot last night but there was nothing i could really do. I cant wait until u come home so please be carefull while ur building those houses and dont let laura through too many mangos at ur head..ones enough..lol
well i have to go im not sure if u actually get to read this in person but ill keep writing!!!
so ill try to send u one later I love u ....<3 ALWAYS candice