Sunday, June 22, 2008

What's up in Honduras?

Good Sunday morning to all,

What a productive and great day all the teams had yesterday. We continue to be blessed with sunshine so our construction work can continue without interruption. Two work crews were sent out yesterday to complete 2 houses in record time. Another blessing of good work sites (which typically means ground minus huge boulders and accesibility), good wood and weather. Combine that with workers that were ready to work and you have 2 more houses built for eagar families. The crew were challenged by Keith that if they finished their homes by 2:30 he would treat them to an ice cream sundae from McDonald's. Guess Keith found the secret to motivating the work crews because they both were finished in record time!

The rest of us travelled in our school bus to Limoncillo (please excuse my spelling)to conduct our second VBS and build a footer for a retaining wall to go in front of the Roger Quarles Technical School to keep the water out when it rains. Our trip took quite a bit longer going there because we were stopped by the police (driver had to show his license and they actually wanted a list of everyone on our bus; none of us can figure out why because they didn't stop us on the way back? Go figure. We decided that the guards were busy and it made them look important. After about a 20 minute delay, we were on the road again. Our bus driver did not know how to get there which resulted in another stop while Gabriel and driver got off and asked for directions. A couple of bathroom breaks and a gas stop, but alas we arrived. We will call the ride a sure test for those of us with motion sickness, but all did well and the scenic route finally ended with screams of joy from the children as we turned the last corner and came into view.

Gabriel was told to expect about 40 children and there was closer to 100 children. Children came from two different villages from miles away to attend the VBS and be seen at the medical clinic. About 15 of us worked on digging the trench for the footer. A bit of a challenge with the rocky ground and shortage of tools. We actually resorted to using our claw hammers in places to chip away the rock. Just when you thought you had completed the difficult part, we got to mix cement without the aid of a wheelbarrow. Previous trip members knew what was coming, but for us newbies, we found out that mixing concrete in a small hole in the ground was harder than the trench digging! I am sure that I am not the only one discovering new muscles that are sore! We had 4 hours to complete this task and it shows you that when a small group of people have a unified purpose, great things can be done. We finished our footer in 3 hours instead of 4! I am happy to report that the bus trip back was shorter than the morning ride. After a shower (varying degrees of water depending on where in the line you are), a meal of barbeque chicken and the kids and adults with any stamina left to go to Baxter to play soccer. A truely great day!

Today we are off to Union for church. We are waiting for our second group to arrive in about an hour. Wishing all of you a glorious Lord's Day.
(submitted by suzanne)

15 comments:

David Boyer said...

Hey Boyer Family,
It sounds like you all are getting a ton of stuff done. Tonia, thanks for the updates and dont worry about not getting to call I would have picked Tony Romas too. I hope you all stay safe and continue to get a lot of stuff done. There is not a chance that I'm not going down there next year. This whole having a real job thing isnt all its cracked up to be.
-David

Tiffany Sanchez said...

Hi everyone,

Sounds like you all had another great day. I'm so glad so many of you got experience the wonderful people of Limoncillo (by the way, Suzanne, your spelling of Limoncillo is correct)...even if the bus ride took longer than usual. The police have also stopped the buses on previous trips, so I wasn't surprised to hear about that. Its incredible how far many of the people walk from the surrounding villages just to attend the church and Rodger Quarles Technical School in Limoncillo. I had the fortune to see some of the surrounding villages during my visit to Honduras in April...many great things are happening there with the Lord's help. To Katrina Cain: I hope you were part of the group that went to Limoncillo...Were you able to see the tree that I photographed in April, that you won at the Honduras auction...Is it still in bloom?... just wondering because I know rainy season started...can't wait to hear about your experiences when you get back. To Heidi Garcia: I hope you're having a great trip and I hope you got to see Clarissa yesterday in Limoncillo. To the entire NW Tampa team: I send my sincere best wishes on the continued success of this trip!! Keith, you always do an incredible job year after year. See you soon!

Love you all,
Tiffany

Bettye Evans said...

Hey Kate!
Dad's down on his back again, so he wasn't able to go to church. I had the nursury and then went to lunch with Ms. Cindy, Eli, Mr. Tom and Ms. Beverley. We had a great time. We all talked about our children in Honduras and your messages home. It's stopped raining and the sun is out. Hope the weather stays great for ya'll. Sounds like you had a very active day yesterday. Hope to hear from you soon. Love you, Mom
ps Dad's birthday is Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great week! We all thought of you this morning at Church. We were with you in spirit. You may want to let Gina know that Jillian Rose looked happy this morning with her Aunt and cousin. Tonia, Alexa was all smiles this morning with your Mom as she was playing hide and seek behind her. Chris, Payne Daniels says to tell you the old man sent you the email about UNC with a smile on his face. The pictures were really good! I was very moved by the picture of PJ and the lady. Heather I thought of you as I passed Rita's this morning. You and Chris keep up the great work. Dad and I are so proud and love you both so much! Love to everyone!
God Bless! Beverley. (Mum)

Unknown said...

Hayden, How's my sweet angel baby? Ankle doing better I hope! We finally got rain, all day Saturday, lots, and back again this morning and now its at it again. Pool overflowing, horses antsy, and I miss you!! Did you do VBS, how is your Spanish? Sounds like things are going well, love Tonia and Suzannes notes, they bring it alive..XXOOXX mom/dad blog your parents...

Anonymous said...

Hi Shanny and Georgi,
Hope you made the trip without problems. We are with Angie and Alan this week attending VBS. Jes and the boys are having a good time.
Already miss our daily phone calls. Love you both please be careful. No accidents with the hammers this year please! Take Care.Say hello to everyone. This is such an awesome work in the name of our Lord! Love Momma

Hi guys!
Love you,
Angie

Matthew Betz said...

Mommy (Gina) - Daddy and I are OK. I love my treats! I miss you and love you. -Jillian

Moots (Gina) - Bud is correct, we are OK, but we miss you. We are proud of you and love you. Live the dream Baby!!!!! -Matthew

Lisa said...

We miss you John! Jacob was so excited when he saw your picture. Everything is going good here. We'll see you on Sunday.

*hugs and kisses*
Lisa, Matt and Jacob

jeanette v said...

Please read this on Tuesday, June 24 if possible. Thanks!

Darrell, Happy 20th Anniversary, Dear love! Thank you for giving me the best years of my life and for being such a wonderful father to Seth, Ethan, and Hannah. I thank God for the blessing of sharing my life with you. Give Seth a hug for me:)

Team, keep up the hard work in Honduras. We are proud of the service you are doing. A special thanks to Suzanne and Tonia for the daily blog. That is a life line for us back home.

Blessings to you all,
Jeanette V

Anonymous said...

For Gina Betz

Mommy,

I'm sleeping at Boo & Eli's tonight. We had so much fun and now we're getting ready for bed.

I love you, Jillian

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad and Mom (Bob & Jan) -

I blogged to you guys earlier in the week but it doesn't look like it ever went through. Hope you are doing well and Dad is obeying the Dr's orders and not over doing it...!!! We miss you guys but no what you are doing there is of more importance. Last week Eric, Alyssa and I went to the doctors for my routine check up. Everything looks great...Alyssa got to hear her little sisters heartbeat again, so she was ecstatic. After the appointment her and Eric went to Busch Gardens for the day while I went to work. Other than that - the week was the same as any other week - work and cheerleading practice. Hope this finds you doing well. I'm going to have Alyssa send you a note in a little. We love and miss you...!!!

Love,
Ali

Anonymous said...

Hi Papa and Nana (Matthews),

I had a busy week, heard my sisters hearbeat then got to go to Busch Gardens with Eric and ride rides. I went to the beach with my Dad,Shelby,Ryan and Ms. Debbie for the day. We had fun. Also my cousins (DC & Malik) and Aunt Dottie came down for a day and half to visit. We went to Tarpon Springs for the day. They told me to tell you "Hi". Other than that, I went to PLACE and cheerleading practice as usual.

I'm getting ready for bed now so I have to go. I really miss you guys and can't wait till next sunday when you get home!!!!!! Stay safe...!!! Goodnight.

Love,
Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Dear family,
Let me start by saying how blessed I am to have the privilege of calling you my brothers and sisters in Christ. The work you're doing is unparalleled (at least in my book) and I know that lives are being changed right now thanks to the work you are doing and the love you have.
I've been to Honduras twice now, and one thing I've learned, is that you can't always tell people about Jesus. Sometimes you don't speak the language or other times you just don't have the right words to justly articulate who our Lord and Savior is. In those moments, don't be discouraged. You have a perfect opportunity to SHOW people who Jesus is. It may sound like a duanting or uncomfortable assignment, and I know I often thought that singing Jesus Loves Me was a much easier and appealing route, but you wouldn't be in Honduras now if God didn't want you to be a part of someone's life in a major way. He sent His son to earth and, now, He's sending you to Honduras--He sees in you what you don't see in yourself, and He is trusting you with his people. I am convinced that you are the men and women of God that are necessary to change the world in Honduras, and I can't wait to hear about all the ways He has enabled you to work when you get home.
I love you all very much! Please be safe.

In Him,
Brittany Mountford (West Orange CoC)

Anonymous said...

To My Sweet Baby Girl Laura, Sorry I did not blog you yesterday (Sunday) we had no computer or phone lines for about 1/2 the day. Did you get to do VBS? When are you going to get to play soccer with the kids? I know you love that so much. Patches misses you so much. She sleeps by the front door and looks for you to come home. We have something for you when you get home??!!! Hope you are using your sunscreen and taking your allergie pills. Keep trucking in Honduras like you always do every summer and I will see you this Sunday. Love and kisses (lots)

Mommy and Daddy Bill

Anonymous said...

for Gina

Mommy,

I had fun with Daddy. I miss you while you're at Honduras but I love my tambourine in my Monday bag. Boo says it'll be lots of fun today. We sang "Clap, clap, clap your hands for Jesus" with it & it was so fun. I'm sharing it with Baby Ryan right now.

I love you so much ~ Jillian